About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

January 15, 2011

Taking off


So I suppose 2 days before leaving is late enough to start writing this...
Hopefully we gave our goodbyes on Wednesday and there isn't much left for me to say.
I created this blog in an attempt to immortalize my trip to the other side of the world. Though for some of my friends going to Korea was just a fact they had known for years, for me it was just something I always thought "how nice would that be", but I always had a lot of doubts about whether I'd actually make it.  So making it there, for me, is plain epic.


So hell. I made it. Got the scholarship and my f*cking passport, and am off to adventure, food, photographing and education!
You may have noticed I created this blog mid-January, so no, nobody gave me the idea for it. It's actually inspired by a website created by a talented photographer who left his home to travel (and study, I think) in Asia. But since I don't know how to create a website, I had to resort to a blog. I wasn't too happy with the creative limitations but I worked as well as I could inside the box and I'd say this is a damn good looking custom blog. (Though in a year I'm gonna think it's total crap.) It wasn't easy to get it to work this way. For example the banner on top isn't in a space intended for banners, but for a normal picture so I had to figure around with the sizes to get it the right shape. I originally wanted to add a slide show for when I start uploading pictures here, but this load of crap only lets you add slide shows that show random pictures off google and flickr (Like what the hey.)
Anyway enough complaining.
I'm hoping I will keep up with this blog so that I don't always have to talk to people individually, (though this is more oriented toward my family), and so I can keep record of my trip. Whenever I do interesting things I'll have an entry and some pictures or maybe even a link to somewhere else I may have uploaded them. I'LL TRY and upload pictures of food but if that doesn't work out and causes my food to get cold or my camera greasy then, SCREW THAT. All of my best stuff will still be on DeviantArt but you're gonna have to ask me for a full res picture if you want printing.
Well this is just the beginning of 5 years so who knows what crazy things I will or will not be doing over there.

By the way, what do you think of the name of the blog? I wanted something y'know... cool sounding. I chose Stranger Spirited because what inspires me is the unknown I'm about to discover, but that can still be changed...

And for everyone who read this that isn't my family... well, I'll be posting more interesting stuff later :P (Hopefully)
So, enjoy!!

Wes.

PS: <-- This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were removed. (Ok just kidding ben)
PPS: While proof-reading this thing I realized what total crap my English skills have become *sigh* and I'm supposed to learn Korean? Haha.

11 comments:

  1. mi querido Brother
    estos pasos que uno da en la vida son unicos y son momentos para aprovecharlos y darte la oportunidad de crecer.
    estamos seguros que sera un gran reto para vos... pero en la vida no hay nada facil...
    asi que como al momento TODO esta de tu lado son momentos para salir y desarrollarte.
    te apreciamos

    Vicente, Angelica, Diego, Samy y Alex :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gonne far and your THOUGHT became truth so enjoy all the experiences that will come to you and get all you can from thi experience..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Sobrinito...Bueno estoy muy orgullosa de ti por lo que has logrado...Disfruta todo lo que se te venga y todas las nuevas experiencias que la vida te traiga. Con mucho carino..xoxo Tia Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wes,
    By now we have calculated that you are in Korea!!!! Has not really sunk in yet, but I am sure you have flown because each time one of us passes your room...sure is empty.
    Waiting to hear you are safe and already smelling like garlic.
    LOL,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog needs pics! Get on with it Wes, I want to know what your first meal in Seoul was. I got over the blues already and hungry to hear about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Wes!
    Son las 7 de la mañana en Seúl, seguramente estarás por levantarte... es muy emocionante saberte allá, e igual que los demás, mendigando por una fotita...!!! Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wesito, I miss You!! I hope you are having a great time! I can't wait till you come back, but while you're not here, at least put up some pics for us to see daily :)! Take care and be safe,
    I love you,
    Yoyito <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Wesley,

    I am your Uncle Albert and hope you remember me.
    I think your first blog was well written.
    It seems that there are some interesting and challenging five years coming your way.

    Good Luck and Best Wishes,
    Uncle Albert

    P.S. I hope you like kim che.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh Wes, FOTOS!!! de las aventuras, de las perdidas y de las veces que si has llegado a donde querias.... !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey wes i hope you have fun in korea i miss the couple of days we spent together in LA i hope u come soon
    Oli

    ReplyDelete