About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

October 2, 2011

Jeju Island


Sorry it's been almost 3 weeks since I went to Jeju but I got kind of busy when I came back, and then pretty soon classes started. So here's on my trip to Jeju Island!


First, I'd like to mention that half way through my trip, my memory card failed so I was no longer able to take  pictures, but since I could still access my card I didn't want to format it either. So I have about half of the trip worth of photos, but that's ok, I still got a few good shots and an experience.

So I made a video that cuts off mid-trip, and shows how awkward I am on camera but anyway, enjoy! Oh, if you want to wait for it to load longer you can watch it it pointless HD goodness!

Well I was only able to capture one meal, but other than that I just had a fried fish that was good but nothing THAT special, yet still way better than what you get in Seoul. Yeah I practically just had 2 meals while I was there because I was so busy running around. Climbing Halla Mountain was 8km up and 8km down so that took me almost all day. The previous day I arrived at 8pm at the Inn so basically just time for dinner, and the day I left I took a bus back to Jeju City early morning but the road was so curvy that I had to sit the rest of the hours I had left at the airport getting rid of bus-sickness.

In the end, for a first time loner trip, I'd say it went quite smoothly. At least now I know how to get around the island for the next time which I do intend to go on. A few people before told me that if I wanted to stay 5 days in Jeju it was just way too much, and that the island is overrated. Bullshit. There is so much to do and check out there. What is overrated is people's description of it. I mean, it's really nice, lots of nature, but it's all been fixed up for the general crowd and doesn't have that adventurous feel like in Guatemala.  But then again, the two really shouldn't be compared. What was cool about climbing up Halla, though, is the deer. I saw at least 3 and they aren't really afraid of people.

Anyway lets look at some pics.









Crystal clear waters run down Halla mountain. There are natural fountains on the way up you can drink and refill your water bottles from.


This is from when my camera failed, so I only have a JPG of this picture, no RAW, limiting the quality ):

Same with this one.

And here are my favorites. I'm posting links to Deviantart so that you can see them in better quality since this blog always cuts it down, but they aren't full-res there either.
http://wertysachu.deviantart.com/#/d4bk9gf

http://wertysachu.deviantart.com/#/d4bk9lg

http://wertysachu.deviantart.com/#/d4bkawa

http://wertysachu.deviantart.com/#/d4bk9pn

Oh, and some not-so-great panoramas but I tried anyway.
This is basically a giant puddle randomly on top of the mountain. There are lots of helicopter pictures of this thing portraying it like some kind of small lake on top of the mountain but that thing doesn't even make it to pond, I could see the bottom of the center from where I was standing, and it was barely past ankle-deep.


On other news.
I was on the news! For... not even 10 awkward seconds. I volunteered for helping out at a friendly soccer game oriented toward foreigners in Korea, so I also got to "meet" (high-five) the players, do a sort of opening with some kids and a giganto flag, and then get interviewed by KBS news. I just volunteered to have something to do that day, but I made them think I genuinely love soccer (ahem).
http://news.kbs.co.kr/tvnews/news9/2011/09/24/2361517.html#//
It'll probably be hard to load in Guatemala, but I'm near the beginning so you don't have to watch the whole thing.
I realized I have a nasty right eye tick when I'm nervous, hahaha.

Also, my 3rd semester has started. I've been here 7 months now... wow. And MY GOD my classmates are so frikin quiet. They never answer the teacher or participate or anything its so damn frustrating! I answer what I can but I can't do everything, it just makes me look like a show-off.
Classes are more interesting though; content-wise. Barely intermediate 1, but now is when we start to get complicated and actually start to sound like students and not tourists.

What else? I guess that's all for now. This took me forever, I'm off for dinner.
Bye!

3 comments:

  1. I guess you will have to return to Guate for some real adventures! When you come home, maybe well plan ahead for a bike ride to Costa Rica. I really like the second Pan, the red thing on the right makes for an interesting composition. That lake on top of the mountain does not hold a torch even compared to Ixpaco, and I bet it did not smell as nice either, lol. I am very happy you got to get lost in JEJU, hahaha. Being alone in an unfamiliar place gives one a special sense of oneself. I remember the first time I was in the middle of a Utah desert and it is still like yesterday. Life is still good, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About that red thing, you can always call that number and ask, what it is, how it got there and why it has not been picked up, yet.
    Also, thank them for providing you with such an interesting subject to photograph.

    I do like what you did with the photo. I am sure the reds weren't that interesting in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 웨슬리 챙(과테말라 유학생):"경기장에 내려와서 선수들도 가까이서 보고 관중석을 보니까 너무 재밌습니다."
    This is so cool!! It looks like you are having fun in korea. And.. I love your video!
    Your blog posts always make me go visit korea ><
    hehehehe

    ReplyDelete