About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

March 15, 2012

This is harder than I thought...

Finally was able to take some classes... this is going to be a very hard semester!!!
I was very excited to start college, excitement that was burnt out after all of the issues I had with the management here, and my dorm. Now that all of those issues are solved... it has NOT been smooth sailing.



First, I have Design History and Understanding Advertising classes, all in Korean. I understood 0. Not sure what I'm going to do, though one of the teachers (Understanding Advertising) is really friendly and understanding, and recommended a book in English for us. The Design History teacher, though, is... yeah.
Next, I HAVE to take beginner English classes, and there is NO way out of it. I insisted, proposed ideas, told them I have a TOEFL score but they won't stop saying it's a requirement. To make matters worse, the school system only allows 30% of the class to receive A, so the teacher said we could just do other work in the back of the class, but he would only give us B, since it's not fair to the other students that we take the A while not participating. However, if we DO participate, we get A but it's a waste of our time, and it's not fair to the rest of the (beginner) students that they ended up in a class with foreigners. The class is small so 30% of the students only amounts to 4 people, and we are 4 foreigners in the class. Staff really needs to loosen up!

Finally, and most depressing, is DRAWING class. Well, we were hoping we'd learn how to draw,  but in reality every one of my classmates has had extensive drawing classes before entering the university, and they are, in all honesty, the best drawers(?) I've ever met. Class was embarrassing and depressing, as people were literally shading and finishing sketches by the time that I had 2 lines on my paper... And when we did figure drawing, they had some really neat, accurate sketches while my paper looked like it had mutated baboons. I walked out of there feeling really worried, embarrassed and depressed.... I'm gonna be practicing a lot now.

On Tuesday I checked out the Photography club, but I was very disappointed at their informative meeting. First, I didn't see any photos of their work, just stupid party photos with people holding soju glasses, doing the cutesy V fingers, and the like. Next, all of their activities will be with film cameras. It's not that I don't want to learn film, but our required photography class is already about film, and only film! I was kind of hoping I could get my hands on some lenses and equipment I couldn't otherwise use, but it doesn't really seem so... Today is the informative meeting for the film club though, so I'm crossing my fingers for that one! They don't really have to have good work, just equipment I can use!

Lastly, I'm moving out of the dorm again, Yep, didn't last a month in this rat hole. It just kept getting worse and worse as I discovered that there is no dryer, the bathrooms don't get cleaned regularly enough (so nasty on the weekend) and just their general lack of facilities. Luckily, Yvonne found me a nice room back near where I used to live. It's affordable, has a stove, large bathroom, T.V. with cable (though I don't care much for that) and a large fridge. Plus its on a rooftop and has a small table with a couple chairs and a little grill! They're throwing me out of the dorm on the 24th, though, so I'm gotta spend 11 days at a friends house because I can't move in until April 10. Still, I'm excited. It's gonna be a bit of a long ride every day to school but I think it's worth it to have my own place and a stove. No curfew, no stupid conservative rules, and no more sharing a room!

Oh yeah, tomorrow 5pm Table Tennis club! Woo!

3 comments:

  1. WoW!!! Reality crash course at your service!

    Don't fret over things like English class for beginers too much. Do the class get an A. Life will get better. That was my initial experience in college too, as my English was very limited at the time. I had three months of real English as you know how it is here in Guate. It will probably take a whole semester or a year until you feel comfortable with the Korean. Don't feel bad. In regards to the camera. I am having it serviced (Q600) but I have not found any means to send it to you at the moment. I will send both the Canon and the Minolta, I am more fond of the Minolta so take care of it (;. You will learn a lot from film, also, so don't put it down toooooo much. Its like me and old bikes, there is a pleasure there that you will discover...or hate. Good luck with the apartment, You will have to do your own cleaning, but at least it will be your own filth you have to deal with. Hey, there are more than 11 days between the 24th and the 11th, what's up with your math?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qué difícil suena todo esto, pero que bueno que conseguiste el nuevo cuarto. Muchos ánimos y perseverancia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard or not, time for an update. Only applied for a Hiatus on the other blog...;)

    ReplyDelete