About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

April 24, 2012

Angmong, The Music Video teasers and International-Food Day!


It's been over a month now, and it's been one hectic as hell month. Besides school, I've had lots of things to do while also trying to spend time with friends. Finally moved to my new home which has allowed me to cook and live more comfortably though. I love having a stove again.



So first off! My friend, Rui asked me a couple months ago if I was interested in helping his band out. They're relatively new and want to get known, so they were planning on making a music video. At first, there was one other person they had also asked but the only content he had was some weird documentary, he said, so they weren't convinced. Honestly, I didn't have much more to show than my video blogs and my "cloud video" of Guatemala. Luckily, there was no other competition for me anyway and though doubtful at first, they were later convinced that I could do the job. That made me a little nervous, though, because I did talk a lot, raising their expectations. Perhaps my know-how is kinda stretched considering my lack of experience with film, but I've learned a lot from the amazing tool that is the internet.

Due to availability of location, we filmed the second part of the video before even storyboarding the first. It was a bit of a rush job, starting setting up at 6:30pm, filming at 9pm and continued all the way until 6:30am. The band's leader got a nice small stage at his university that was perfect because it had lighting that supplemented what we had thrown together. Bought a little luggage puller as a dolly that didn't work like a charm but we made it work for us. In the end, it was a relief because I think the images we got were very satisfactory. However that's just half the music video, and it must go through post-processing and all that jazz so by the time this baby is out... I'd give it at least a month or more.

Anyway it was a very fun experience, just as I hoped. We also got 5 people to help out which ended up being a lifesaver because we were only counting on 2, but in the end everyone did have something to do, simultaneously.  I'll show you some behind-the-scenes shots.













We wanted lights to coordinate with music, so we had to go manual, hiding our crew under black cloth in the background with the switches.

There was alcohol on premises, to help the musicians loosen up. Korean rice wine!









Anyway we get home at 8:30am, wake up again at 1pm to go shop for food for our International-Food Day! This isn't an international day, mind you, it's a day about international food. I also have a few afterthoughts about our first day of filming.
Next up, I'll be showing you what my house and neighborhood is like! Oh and my university too. Now that winter has passed it isn't as unsightly anymore.

Oh! Also, the song in the music video is called Angmong (악몽) and it means nightmare in Korean. I don't fully understand the lyrics but I think it's about a dream of a girl. The band is named "The Cen" and you can check them out on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/TheCen
and get their music here
http://thecen.bandcamp.com/ 

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY! I have to say, kind of brought tears to my eyes, to see all you are doing. Shows a lot of power from your part. The way you are managing your time, and your ability to do so many different things. It is too early still for you to say you should have gone to film school only. This was a chance to experience it, but the road you took will give you a wider spectrum. Later on you can refocus and redirect your path. As far as the pictures go, I like very much the one of you sitting at the drum set. Keep it up son, just keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete