About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

September 20, 2014

Prequel: South East Asia and Learning How To Travel


Situations that push you to leave your comfort zone often bring you face to face with the fact that you are not who you like to think you are, nor who you'd like to be.



Traveling these past 2 months has been an experience I can't compare with any I've ever had, including all of my past travels. I liked to believe I was ready to keep going, keep travelling, keep exploring, that I didn't miss home (Korea), but I underestimated 2 months, and honestly I was ready to go back and take a vacation from this vacation.

Now I'm not saying I regret anything, nor that the experience wasn't a good one, but a lot of the time I was stressed, I was worried, and I was scared. People don't travel to feel like that. I left a lot of things pending when I left; mainly our short film which has turned out to be a mammoth of work and is way behind schedule, but also some shoots and photos to be edited (and now so many more that I took during this trip). I was also worried about money. When budgeting for travel it's a habit to grossly underestimate what you will spend. I had enough to go over (and I did) but I was going over from the very start with many things I did not properly account for (mainly buses and visas). It was also a goal of mine to not touch the credit card. I knew it was there and it was comforting to know in case of emergencies, but I haven't touched it (with the exception of a few online purchases my card didn't work with) for over a year and a half now and I intend to keep it that way.

I was very stressed about not knowing what to do, where to go, how to get around, getting lost, talking to strangers, losing my things and keeping up. I knew this wasn't a trip I could do alone but I didn't want to hold back Keat, whom I was travelling with, since he's more experienced, less afraid and more outgoing than me. That fear of not wanting to be a burden (though to some degree I believe I was) is probably what kept me going in many situations where I would've otherwise given up. (Also not wanting to appear like a wimp.) I was facing up with the fact that I am not the adventurous, outgoing guy I thought I was. I only appeared that way when comparing myself to certain people.

Again, I'm not saying it was a bad experience. I'm not saying I regret anything, nor that I'm disenchanted. It was just a very different experience than what I expected. It not only brought a bit more of the world into the light for me, but a lot of myself I had gotten very good at ignoring and denying.

Though I did take a lot of photos, for 2 months they are very few. There are many things/places I didn’t take photos of, even food, because I really wanted to just enjoy myself and not stress over chasing after photos as well. Since I wasn’t on my own and we were moving around a lot I couldn’t pace myself properly either. But it’s okay, there will be more chances to travel where I’m better prepared (and hopefully better equipped) and financially more stable. I had much to gain beyond photography in this trip. I’m not one for touristy shots that just show where I was and what I was doing. If I feel the photo won’t look great I often just don’t take it. I don’t bother taking photos just to document things because I’d rather just experience them, so I won’t be able to show everything I tell.

But enough of this for now. Let's get to the juicy parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment