About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

July 21, 2011

Dinner and a VIDEOOOOOO


So! There was something I just had to eat as soon as I found out about it.


And there's video, in HD! (well... kinda)



곱창 (Gob Chang)

Pig intestine, grilled with onion and pepper, served with salt on the side. Greasy, chewy, and damn tasty. Oh, and DAMN EXPENSIVE! You might've noticed that the quantity there is definitely not enough to feed us three. Oh well, it had to do because that stuff was at almost $9 a serving, and we could each easily have 2-3 servings.
But that's that.... My mouth is watering again.

Anyway I am cramming a blog of random things that have been on my mind lately.

First: the weather.
Korea has this thing called 장마철 (jangmacheol) which is their rainy season. It's about 3 weeks of intense daily rain and absurd moisture. It's like 3 weeks of a free sauna (whether you wanted it or not). Go outside and within minutes you are one sticky sweaty bastard.
Thankfully, it's over. And we are full on summer. I wouldn't say it's particularly hotter than Guatemala, as far sun intensity. But what makes it so murderous is the face that the sun is up from 5am to 8:30 pm at night, and we get about 10-12 hours of intense sunlight a day. People recommend that if you want to live:
STAY INDOORS.
Agreed. But I get the feeling I'm gonna miss this when I'm buried under snow this winter... I realized that no winter break means walking in snow every morning to class. Oh crap!

Second: Church
As I was in the study room I made an observation as to how many churches I could see from the window. At least 10. I think there are more churches in a 10mile radius around my dorm than there are in Guatemala City. These people are more religious than I thought, and I don't know why.
A few days ago we learned the word 믿다 (mid-da) in class, which is the infinitive for "believe." Then the teacher asked our class if we believed in God. I was surprised not only by the fact that everyone answered no, but also by their reaction, as if it was such a ridiculous question. Apparently, in Japan, God isn't so popular. I like my classmates even more now.

Third: More fandom.
I had a small group project with two of my classmates. One guy from Japan, and a girl from Taiwan. After we finished we talked for a couple hours, and it was very interesting. But I also found out that the girl from Taiwan's roommate, and her roommate's friends, (people who I have absolutely no idea who they are, nor how many, to make things scarier) have a nickname for me. To them, I am "prince."
I'm creeped out. O_O


And then there is SISF. Seoul International Student Forum. I had told dad about this before. It is a forum composed by a bunch of foreigners (mainly students) in Korea. Our objective over the next few weeks is to come up with a policy proposal for Seoul City to make it's city more foreigner-friendly, and then set it up so that Seoul Global Center only has to employ the necessary people and set it running (if it's actually good enough) I had applied for president of this group, but that was probably way overreaching. In the end, the SISF member president is a girl who has already completed her masters and is working on her doctorate. A little more qualified than me wouldn't you say? Anyway we've had a few events so far, and I have some pics, though almost none of me, I'll upload a few just so you can see what we've been doing. Part of the activity includes going on field trips so we've checked out Digital Media City (museum) where they show technology at its greatest, Dongdaemun Design Center, a.... gallery/museum/park that hasn't even been completed. And this week we went to one of the city's sewage treatment plants, and Arisu, a government-run water purifying company that claims to make 90% of Seoul's tap water drinkable. Or was it that tap water is now 90% drinkable? Hmmm...



















Questions? No? Good because I don't feel like explaining all the pretty little pictures.
Anyway Se-Min's mom invited Bambi and me for lunch. It was a pricey lunch too.
Wondering what it is? You'll find out some other day (;

What else hmm.... Today we had examns, and they went well... I already know I got 100 on the reading test hehe.
Oh yeah, I got to say hi to SungWook's mom again. She was so shocked I said "annyonghaseyo" instead of "Hola." And it was weird listening to her speak. Before it was all... no idea what she was saying and now I can understand (partially), it's like she's a totally different person!

So that's what's up here! Haven't heard from you guys in a while either, what's up?

2 comments:

  1. QUERIDO WESLEY:
    Como siempre, las fotografías son fantásticas.
    Me encantó el vídeo, pero sobre todo, que no olvidan el español.
    Le envío un abrazote para usted y para todos mis queridos que se encuentran por allá.
    Bendiciones ☺
    Miss Castellanos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gob Chang, Gob Chang, damn you son, Nadia and I are both salivating. NOW you are getting the picture. We'll PIG OUT when I get there. Put that place on the list of MUST visit with dad.

    ReplyDelete