About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

July 10, 2011

Fandom

It's been a  while since I've posted, so I decided to just write something short.


So most of our Korean language learning department consists of Chinese and Japanese. Since this semester my class consists SOLELY of Chinese and Japanese (ok I'm putting Taiwan and HongKong under the same category), I get to practice my Korean more in class since people don't speak English (though my bonding with classmates is a little limited, I prefer it that way). So at break time, lots of Japanese people come to talk with my classmates. Well so far I have confirmed 2 Japanese fangirls. Sadly, they aren't the pretty type you see in Anime. (They're tall, but pretty big on the sides too... with big heads)  ): All they have is the same energy. Both of them know my name though I never introduced myself, and try to say hi and make eye contact with me every time possible. One girl offered me cookies but I had to reject because I didn't really know if they'd have peanuts or not and didn't find it worth risking, nor did I want to establish a relationship. The other girl talked to me on Friday, said her name, and said she wanted to talk to me. Soooooooo... I answered "What would you like to talk about?" (all of this was in Korean) and out of ideas she asks me where I live (This is a pretty common question here so I wasn't weirded out) but after I answered she started talking to her friends in Japanese in front of me, absolutely abusing the word "Kawaii" (Meaning "cute" in Japanese for those of you who didn't know.) I wanted to run away but she was blocking my only exit........................

Scary.

On another note, tons of new students have moved into the dorm for summer courses. Amongst them, a TON of people from Hong Kong. There was one that lives on my floor and introduced himself in the elevator. But all we were able to say is where we're from before we had to walk in opposite directions toward our rooms. Just as I'm saying "bye" he says "this is my room, you can come here and have tea."
Now let me put this into perspective for you. This guy, at first I thought was a girl if it weren't for the slight mustache; he is skinny, has colored hair, and the girliest, light voice. Walks with a light pace too. I wasn't about to walk into his room for tea... even if he just has good intentions.
A girl from Hong Kong I met said she doesn't really dig Korean guys because she finds them "too manly"... If Koreans are too manly, then what are guys from Hong Kong like???? She broke them down into 2 main categories:

Otaku: Basically, the Asian version of geek. Life revolves around Anime and Videogames. Creepy and pervy, acne is a must.

Feminine: Guys who wear makeup, fix their hair nice, want to get plastic surgery and like to act cute. And yet, they're straight.

I suppose my reaction to this is all culture shock.

So yeah that's... best news of late.
I guess I'll leave you with a picture so that this blog isn't too sad.
"Woori, smile at the camera. WOORI SMILE AT THE CAMERA!"
"WHATEVER I'M HUNGRY"
Fried chicken. Yup, this is me, eating fried chicken. Our homework was to order food delivery and, we ordered fried chicken. It's Korean culture to eat fried chicken and drink with friends, though it was lunch so we just had coke. Woori was too hungry to look at the camera.
Alright, bye!

3 comments:

  1. 안녕 웻실리. 저 웻실리 팬이ㅔ요. 저 생각해, 웻실리는 정말 괴여워. 저 일본에서 왔어요. 웻실리랑 사귀고 싶어요. 무섭지 마. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Son,
    Sounds like you are doing well but eating well!! Shattering all your mom"s hope for healthy eating in Korea!!
    We miss you and hold off on the makeup as long as possible!! hehehe.
    Love u,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should've known about Hongkongnese MEN (i.e.; Brian L). A man's man....(hope he doesn't get to read your blog,lol)
    Korean classes with only ornamentals must be a hoot! Accent with an accent!

    ReplyDelete