About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

January 24, 2012

Chinese New Year!

Or Lunar New Year. Though we did not have Christmas or New Year holidays, Chinese New Year here is always 3 days off. I always wanted to be on this side of the world on that date, so here's what I did.

Of course, dinner had to be special...

Yeah... but that was Sunday, the day before. The actual day, I went out in search for something, something special Koreans had to do on that date. Uh, I was unsuccessful. My teach told me that if anything, it would be at Gyeongbokkung Palace but I didn't really find anything there. So I just stuck around to take photos.
I used my 75-300mm lens for this photo. Hadn't used it in a while and to be honest, I wasn't too happy with it's performance (now that I've learned a bit more).

A bit of a re-attempt of another photo I have with the same angle.




I was dying it was so cold out, plus it was windy. My face and hands hurt so bad! But I stayed out there longer than people would find reasonable. I ended up wandering into a museum though.

These swords were almost as long as me! Could slice a pretty big sushi with that!





There's also this waterfall in the area which I was surprised was still running, as everything outdoors was frozen. There was ice around the edges but maybe they warmed the water.



And that's my very un-informative post on Chinese New Year! Oh well, at least I did something!

Oh and I also found out that my family has been in the love business in Korea:
Actually, I didn't know we had a family saint. He must've quit his job to pursue a more prominent business career! Haha.

3 comments:

  1. Bueno, por lo menos son más fotos que texto :P ¿Y entonces no hay como alguna celebración "oficial" del año nuevo? Que buena se miraba esa comida, y el museo está muy chilero ¿de qué es? Me gustó mucho la foto del agua. Y menos mal que no les pediste hospedaje a tus familiares :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pues por lo general, la gente regresa a sus pueblos para pasar el dia con sus familiares y tienen sus costumbres, comidas y juegos tradicionales. Pero en cuanto festividades en grande no encontre nada.
    El museo era del rey Sejong, el cuate que invento el alphabeto coreano, y el general Yi o algo asi, un cuate todo genio que se hecho un chingo de barcos japoneses con bien pocos a su disposicion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha.....Maybe we can stay there free when we visit as we are obviously relatives!!
    mom

    ReplyDelete