About Me

My photo
Photographer and blogger. I travel when money and time allow and I post when I have something worth sharing.

March 20, 2011

More fun facts.

The streets here are actually dirtier than I thought they would be. Lots of trash, specially on Sundays because that's when people put their trash out but not when it gets picked up. And for some reason you get spontaneous wafts of  sewage-smelling air every 20 minutes.
Though Guate was dirtier, I think it's smellier here, and I'm not talking garlic.

At least they have muni people here, except their bright green suits say "Hi  Seoul." But for me, same shit.

Also, I thought transmetros could get horribly cramped, but the subways here, at the wrong time, can get really bad. The difference between here and Guate, though, is that people here push their way in even if there's no space, and amongst the sea of people you can just hear a bunch of old ladies going "Aigo! Aigo!" an interjection we more commonly know as "AH! GODDAMMIT." I can't imagine how that's gonna be in summer when it gets hot and sweaty.

Weather has been warming. I can now go out perfectly fine with just a long sleeved shirt and one jacket. (And pants of course). Fountains that were dried out for winter are being refilled. We were under negative temperatures with snow at the beginning of the week but it seems that was just a fluke.

The Guatemalan embassy is inside Lotte Hotel. Lotte is a company that owns this country. They make everything from bubble gum to amusement parks, theaters and apartment buildings, and its name is everywhere. I have no idea how Guatemala got into Lotte Hotel. Nery and I were incredibly uncomfortable in there. WAAAAAAAAAY too fancy with waterfalls and touch-sensitive elevator buttons, live music, shiny black cars receiving valet parking and rich bastards everywhere. It's funny the lady at the front didn't even know the Guatemalan embassy was inside the hotel until some other worker told her it was. We only asked because there were a bunch of flags on a balcony, one of them being the Guatemalan one. Unfortunately the office closes at 4 so we have to come back next week.

Oh yeah, we're gonna be on Arirang TV in a week. I'm not completely aware of the details yet because we weren't given any paper with info. For some reason only our class was invited. Other scholarship grantees on higher levels weren't. Woo hoo!

Chinese people eat more rice than Koreans.

I finally tried cafeteria food last week. Not bad, not spectacular, but for a mere W2500 I plan on having lunch there next week so I can save some money.

Coffee shops and desserts are sooooooo expensive. So are fruits, even in the market. Strawberries taste weird, bananas have no taste. Oranges taste the same since they're imported. Asian pears are HUGE but no cheaper than in Guatemala. They have these weird small melons here that are yellow stripped with white. I haven't tried them yet because I don't know how to eat them but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a big knife. Also they're not really in season so they'll probably taste better well into spring.

But you know what's cheap? Ramen. You can get most ramen at W1000, meaning less than a dollar. And if you buy it in packages it costs you W850 each.
But you get sick of it really quickly....... So I bought cereal for breakfasts instead. OREO CEREAL. No flavorless brown-oat crap. Hehehe.

Chinese food is very expensive. Which is ironic because everything else they make is so cheap.

Oh snap.

My favorite street food is probably in a cup. It's fried chicken with tok (rice cake) and fried potatoes, covered in spicy sauce. Probably not the most Korean option but it's so good. You can actually get burgers and hotdogs and cheese-filled chorizos on the street but they look so bad!
Oh and I've seen a toast restaurant. They sell toast as if it were some kind of actual meal, since it's so foreign. I'll pass.

And finally, I actually had ramen with cheese in it for lunch. I was tired of eating the regular a the place I regularly go to but wanted to eat there since it's so cheap. I was curious about all of these dishes that Koreans put cheese on, including rice and ramen, so I tried the ramen. It wasn't bad! Nor fantastic but for W3000 it passes the test.

Unfortunately I haven't been out taking photos. Didn't feel it this weekend. So just picture everything I wrote in your head.

Bye!

7 comments:

  1. Life is the same the world over. We humans are dirty by nature and we want someone else to take care of our mess. lol

    The fruit you find here and other underdeveloped countries will always be far superior in flavor, its all the piss therapy they get.

    Let us know when it will come out on Arirang,we don't get it so I will have to have someone record it.

    On our front, we got a new OLD bike. Got the XS650 1979. I spent all saturday cleaning up the old muck, put on new shocks, handlebar, oil...took it out for a spin, hoping to go out on it to Tecpan on Sunday, only to find out sunday morning that the petcock was leaking gas, CRAP.

    Julio Hartmann wants to know if Mom and I want to go on a camping trip this weekend. LACHUA! maybe, IF I can the the leaky fuel problem sorted out.

    Are you missing my home cooked food yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bike sounds pretty neat. But it took you a week just to get Pucca to run, did you really think that thing would work properly in a day?

    So you think you can handle Lachua? Well I don't really know how your leg is now, but it's 4 km hiking, I think. It's just flat land but still. Though you can hire people to haul your crap over to the camp site for like Q35. I also believe they close at 5:30pm unless you otherwise notify them of your arrival.

    We're going to sing on Arirang, the Arirang song, very popular Korean folk song. And since we need to take up 5 minutes of time we're also singing Color Esperanza! We had to agree on another song, and really the dominating language in my class is Spanish with 2 Guatemalans, 2 Peruvians, and an added 2 Mexicans and a Panamanian for the event. So the only appropriate song I could think of they'd probably all know was that one. Hur hur hur. You can actually find that song in the Karaoke here, I sang it with Bambi.

    I do miss home food. Specially my own... haha just kidding. Desserts really suck here. I thought dong exaggerated when she talked about my cheesecake but man they really suck here! Flavorless waste of calories...
    And today we had "Chinese food" since NIIED is paying for our lunches if we attend rehearsals for the Arirang song. I think even Guatemalans have a better idea of what Chinese food is because that stuff sucked. You can get better fried rice in Zone 1 I bet. And they sells this black sauce with most of their food. It's like melted rubber. They put it on noodles and call it "jajangmyon" and everyone says it's Chinese food. When I tell them it isn't they go "Well... it's more like Korean adapted Chinese food." Probably Korean adapted sewage. I really want some ma pao tofu.

    And a steak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Huesito! Que valiosa descripción! me recordé del metro de México, donde separan a los hombres de las mujeres en los andenes para cuando llegan los que empujan a la gente para adentro y se cierran las puertas y quedas como sardina. Podría suponer que tu estatura está por encima de la media de los coreanos?? o no?? porque al menos, tu nariz puede estar un poco más alta que la de la masa de gente atrapada en el vagón.... imaginate a mi 1.53 metros, dónde quedaba mi nariz....
    Espero que tu papá consiga la grabación de Arirang, suena emocionante lanzarte al estrellato televisivo internacional... ja, ja, ja. pero de verdad, que bien!!
    Todavía hay posibilidad de que te cambien a otra residencia con opción de cocinar?
    Hoy (en Corea) hace un mes que saliste de Guate... rápido pasa el tiempo, y estás adaptándote tan pronto y con tanta aceptación en la sociedad coreana que hasta te van a poner en la TV... ha, ha.
    Abrazos y nuestro cariño.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For dinner last night...Roasted about 5 lbs of tomatoes, two pimento pepers, garlic, onion, celery and sausages on the grill. Once well roasted and char smelling, hmmm, took the veggies, chopped them in the food processor, dumped the mixture in a pot, seasoned with parsley, fresh ground pepper, fresh basil from the garden. Salt, olive oil and dumped over pasta. Served with a side of sausage. Ben says is the best I have made and to only make sauce this way from now on...SORRY no pics, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arirang, any info on the show schedule, yet? We will be going to Alta Verapaz this weekend (not Lachua), overnight, so I need to know ASAP since it will be overnight Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We couldn't figure out when we'd be on T.V. and I don't think it's Arirang T.V. but SBS instead, which you'll only get if you have Korean T.V. Our teacher is trying to find out and we could probably find it online later. I also got interviewed for the Korean Times! 8D but it was a really short interview not much to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eat the small yellow melons in summer!
    Thats their season (: kkk

    ReplyDelete